Thursday, July 14, 2011

the Y-M-C-A

Our Y has a ChildWatch, where you can drop your child off while you exercise.  We tried it for the first time this morning.  I walked in, signed her in, and then passed her over.  As I handed my baby over the counter in her carseat, her eyes couldn't have been wider.  With 5-6 babies and 10 toddlers in one room, seperated by a two foot high wall, you can imagine the noise.  As I rode the exercise bike (trying to prepare for two days of RAGBRAI), all I could think about were those wide eyes. 

 After 40 minutes, I returned and as I opened the door, I could hear several kids crying.  I strained my ear to see if I recognized any of the cries... nope, there amongst the chaos she was in a swing, the eyes had returned to their normal size and she was talking away (with all the crying, you couldn't hear her but she was trying).  The people watching her said "she was the calm within the storm".  Thank goodness, it would make it harder to bring her back if she was one of the kiddos crying, and I think exposure to kids a few times a week will be good for her. Not to mention, good for her mama's waistline! :)

 So we'll check that off the list of firsts.  This one seemed to be more stressful on mama than Ruby!

No comments: